Saturday, June 8, 2013

Run for the Hills?

June 7, 2013


I haven’t cried yet but I know it’s going to come bursting out soon. Culture shock is an understatement. I have seen more then I could’ve every imagined in this past week. These children are the most wonderful children that I have ever met in my life. Yet they come from the most unbearable, unimaginable home lives. They live in South Africa’s poorest communities. These children walk miles and miles to school each day not because they have to (and trust me some of their parents or care givers could care less if they went to school or not) but because they want to. Their school is like a haven; an oasis for them to come to to get away from the hell on earth that could be some of their home lives. They live in one room shacks without electricity or plumbing or water and they sleep on the ground without blankets. School is where they can come to eat and be loved. Most of the older children wake themselves up in the morning, wake their siblings, dress their siblings and walk to school in fear of being kidnapped, raped or picked up by a human trafficking system (that one is extremity but never out of the question) on the way to school. Some ride a train to school each day, alone.  Man y of the children are orphans. They leave school each day and go straight to SOS. SOS is the homeless shelter a few miles from our school. these children have no families and are looked after by caregivers. They fend for themselves each and every day. I make sure to hug each one as they walk out of the gate each day as they begin their trek home.

Today was the most surreal day so far. Instead of spending my late Friday afternoon enjoying happy hour drinks with friends on the patio of some fancy bar, I spent it playing football (soccer) with the children at the local park, in the middle of the largest slum neighborhood in town. The view from the park was shacks and beggars and homeless children roaming the streets. This time is called Oratory. According to St. John Bosco, children should be met where they are. So along with education, we must allow them free time to play and be children. After a few hours, we gather where we are in the park and tell a story and pray before we head home. Lastly, instead of spending my Friday night out with friends at the coolest bars in town, I was visiting my new church’s youth group. They meet every Friday night for a few hours. Those young adults blew me away with their intelligence and wonderful personalities. They have a love for the Lord that is contagious and inspiring. I plan to make that my new Friday activity. It sure is a vast contrast to my usual Friday night.

The people, young adults and children of South Africa are far beyond anything I would’ve expected. I have found a new love in Africa. South Africa is my new home and I will make the absolute best of it for the next 7 months. But I can expect there will be many tears along the way. I miss my family and friends and often I doubt why I am here. This place (areas surrounding Ennerdale) makes you want to run for the hills. But the children here and many of the other lovely men and women, can keep you sucked in. I hope the good Lord watches over me, takes care of me and let’s love and courage continuously flow from within me so I can make a small difference in the lives of these amazing people of South Africa.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, we are thinking about you. I know you are a light in those children's lives. It sounds like a difficult transition. I hope you and your students all stay safe. Jimmy says you are a good teacher and he loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rachel this is amazing. We get so caught up in our lives and we don't realize how great we have it until we see other cultures and experience new things. I'm excited to read about your journey in South Africa and I wish you all the best! You will undoubtedly make a difference in so many children's lives.

    Good luck!

    Blaire (we had elementary ed math classes together at Auburn)

    ReplyDelete