Sunday, July 28, 2013

Luxuryless


July 28, 2013


Luxuryless. Is this even a word? I don’t have a clue. I think it’s just another Rachelism. I’ve been known to make up words. I define my word luxuryless as “to be without luxuries, lacking in luxurious things.”

I am currently luxuryless living in South Africa. Facials and brows done every month, manicures and pedicures, massages from my masseuse (my mom J), Gold’s Gym membership, Amazon Prime membership, Banana Republic credit card, CAR (yes, this IS a luxury), cable television and internet, to name a few, are all gone. Some will think those aren’t really luxuries. I used to think that too. Taking care of your skin with facials, exercising at the gym to stay in shape, 2nd day delivery from amazon for teaching supplies and books, and the other stuff were essentials to my life. I had to have them, right? So I thought. Then I move to South Africa and my world was wrecked…but in a wonderful way…

The only thing you will find in my town is a grocery store, a post office, a Chicken Lickin’, a few churches and a few schools (any lots of shacks, sadly). Nowhere to get a pedicure, no spa for a facial and message, no gym (you put your life at risk simply going for a jog in the neighborhood) and no malls or shops. My house does not have internet, cable television or a TV for that matter, and I do not have a car or even the slightest clue how to drive EURO style, on the right side of the car, on the left side of the street. Therefore, I’ve now got dry skin and bushy eyebrows. I’ve gained weight and have been wearing the same few shirts and jeans that I packed for 2 months now. I have no clue what’s going on in the world of television or the news and I have to walk most places. BUT, I have never been more fulfilled, content, satisfied and happy in my entire life! After being here for 2 months, I have learned that those things in my life were not “essentials”. They were luxuries that were eating up my money and my time. They were not necessities for my life; they were simply add-on’s.

I have learned to appreciate different essentials and a life without add-on’s. Buildings and homes in my town do not have central heating and cooling so I’m very appreciative of the small electric space heater in my room. Its winter and that thing allows me to only have to use 2 comforters on my bed instead of 3 at night! I have lots of time at home, afterschool and on weekends. Other than writing blog posts on my computer, I spend time reading. Before I left home I made sure to buy a good amount of iBooks for the long flight here. However, instead of reading on the flight, I ended up sleeping most of the way. That left me with plenty of books to read during my down time here. I really enjoy reading but when I was at home, I had to stop for awhile because I didn’t have much time. The only time I had for reading, I was using to read my grad school books! Now, I am able to read lots more, for enjoyment. I just got done reading a book called Love Does by Bob Goeff. It is a book about doing the love that God created. It’s about putting love into action and reaping the amazing benefits and graces that come from spreading love by DOING THINGS. This week I have finally begun the book, Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis. I have wanted to get to this one since my mom first gave it to me in Janurary, when I found out my mission placement. The book is a real story about the life of Katie Davis. She is young, southern girl who moves to Uganda to volunteer. She ends up staying there instead of going to college. She opens orphanages and adopts children. Most importantly she shares love to all those she meets. She speaks of having her life plans wrecked by God’s call to a life of mission and to serve the poor. She is incredibly moving and inspiring. I can easily make connections with her life and story.

Lastly, I used to blow through my days working, running errands, staying out late (or up late writing a grad paper) and sleeping for only 5-6 hours at night. I had little to no time for rest. I am now appreciative of the down time I have from 3 o’clock until bedtime each day. I don’t have errands to run and certainly no convenient transportation to get there. I have no appointments and no social life or friends for that matter (other than my volunteer roommate). This gives me time for much needed REST. The stress I had from trying to keep up with myself and the lack of sleep and rest, left me constantly tired, irritable, sensitive, and extra emotional and always with headaches. Now, those things have seemed to disappear and I’m thinking it’s mainly due to the rest I’m getting. I find myself happier. I no longer stress and sweat the small stuff. I find it easier to laugh now; easier to laugh at myself and not take myself too seriously. Things that normally frustrated or irritated me make me laugh now. Characteristics of others that used to bother me (yes, I’ve never had a problem admitting that I have no patience for adults); I can handle better, now. God has given me (or I’m just now accepting) wonderful graces of extra patience to deal with adults who I don’t understand. My rested mind helps me to see these graces very clearly.

You’re probably thinking, “Electric heaters, books and rest. Those are the only essentials you’re appreciative of now”? No, I have many other things to be appreciative of having here, but those are the essentials that have become luxuries to me in the first 2 months. I mean, look at what they have done for me, especially the rest!!

So, I can say now that life goes on and in my case life is even better without the pedicures and facials and all that other stuff, the add-on’s. I suggest that you try it, too. Try to spend less time running around, less money on exterior things, less stress on things that are luxuries and most importantly, spend MORE time resting and accepting the graces God has put in your life. He gives them to all of us each day. It’s just a matter of if we chose to use them or not.  So use God’s graces to plow through your day instead of large doses of Starbucks and a long to-do list to motivate you (that’s what I used to do). His graces will give you all the motivation and strength to get through your days with ease. Not to mention the rest will also give you the energy you need. I’ve said this before, but it sure is crazy to think that it took me moving 9,000 miles away from home to learn such simple but profound lessons.

I thank God for my new luxuries and for slowing me down. Most importantly, I thank Him for opening my eyes to the graces given to me so I can conquer each day.

 

~Today is my sweet Mamaw’s birthday! I love and miss her very much but I know she is thinking of me and most importantly, praying for me. I received a letter in the mail from her yesterday. She made sure to let me know that the Braves are winning and that they are #1 in their division! Oh how I love my Mamaw and her thoughtful letter to keep my posted on everything going on at home. She is a woman to admire with amazing love and strength. I hope and pray that she stays healthy and happy while I’m gone. Happy Birthday, old lady!! J

No comments:

Post a Comment